We may believe that “health is wealth” here at Chi, but we also believe that treating yourself is just as important too…
Pancake Day is the perfect excuse to indulge, and honestly, you can have so much fun with it. Steer clear of chocolate spread, lemon and sugar, and get inventive in the kitchen instead.
This glorious Chocolate Chia Pancake recipe is a great place to start. It’s loaded with chocolate, but also has a healthy, wholesome kick to it. It’s both naughty, and nice, and we promise you’ll be the envy of all your friends!
Chocolate Chia Pancakes with Spiced Plums
Makes 8 medium-sized pancakes.
1 tbsp cacao powder
1 tbsp cocoa powder
3 tbsp chocolate, melted
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/3 cup gluten free flour
1 tbsp corn meal
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 large egg
3/4 cup Chi Coconut Milk (add more if the batter is too thick)
1 tbsp Chi Coconut Oil
10-15 small plums, peeled, pitted and quartered
1 tbsp sugar
Pinch of salt
Half a cinnamon stick
- In a pan, combine 1 tbsp sugar with about 2 tbsp water. Add the quartered plums and cook on medium-low heat.
- While the plums are cooking, in a large bowl, whisk together the cacao powder, cocoa powder, brown sugar, chia seeds, gluten free flour, salt, and corn meal.
- Whisk in the egg and almond milk. If the batter is still too thick, add some more almond milk (should run easily off of the spoon).
- Finally, stir in the melted chocolate.
- Add the coconut oil to a large frying pan and heat on a medium-high heat. Pour small amounts of the batter onto the pan (maybe 2-3 spoonfuls at a time) to form the pancakes. Cook on each side for about 2mins.
- By the time you are done making the pancakes, the plums will have cooked down nicely.
- Top your pancakes with the spiced plums and serve with honey or maple syrup. Dig in!