With the news that Prince William and Kate are expecting their second child all over the news today it got us thinking about how important pregnancy health is and how many other expectant mums there must be out there!
We often talk about how good coconut oil is for everyone in all walks of life, but what you might not know is how many uses there are for coconut oil during pregnancy.
Fat intake during pregnancy is a hot topic but it is important to recognise that there are different types of fat. Coconut oil is a saturated fat that is made up of medium-chain triglycerides, which are essential in helping to preserve a healthy immune system.
Here’s how coconut oil might help:
- It is a great source of lauric acid, in fact it is the second best after breast milk. Lauric acid helps to strengthen your and your baby’s body during pregnancy. Once the baby is born try drinking a small amount each day to keep on passing it through your breast milk
- You can use it instead of butter. If you are worried about your dairy in take during pregnancy then simply use coconut oil as a replacement by spreading it in toast or add it to baking
- It’s great at soothing a sore tummy, so if you are struggling with morning sickness try stirring a tea spoon full into hot water with some fresh ginger
- It doesn’t just have to be used internally, try rubbing it into your stomach to avoid stretch marks or into sore feet to help soothe the aches
- If you have noticed dry hair and a dry scalp during pregnancy then try rubbing a small amount of oil into your hair and scalp
- Coconut oil during pregnancy can also help with flagging energy levels due to the medium-chain fatty acids
For more information on Chi Coconut Oil check out our recent blog post all about the Lowdown on Coconut Oil.
If you would like to read more on coconut oil during pregnancy check out this blog post from American blogger Modern Mom .
all the family
As most users of coconut oil already know, it is an incredibly versatile thing. Whether you are using it to fry vegetables, spread on toast in the morning or using it as a moisturiser, coconut oil is a store cupboard essential.
Its versatility means that everyone in the family can find a use for coconut oil. Here’s our list of top ten ways to use coconut oil for all of the family:
1. Soothing skin. Coconut oil can be used to relieve sore skin including dryness, eczema and nappy rash
2. As a deep hair conditioner. Put coconut oil in your child’s hair overnight or for an hour during the day and then rinse out thoroughly with water to keep hair soft and moisturised
3. Have it with chocolate – what child could resist? Mix the oil with dark chocolate and coconut milk to make delicious truffles. We love this recipe
4. Have it at breakfast. Stir it into porridge or spread it on toast for a healthier start to the day
5. Use it when pregnant. You can rub coconut oil directly on to skin to help prevent stretch marks
6. Use it as a natural after sun during the warmer months
7. To relieve itching. Spent the day outside and have been attacked by mosquitos? Rub a small amount of coconut oil on the affected area to soothe irritated skin
8. To help an upset stomach. Mix a teaspoon of coconut oil with ginger in hot water to help alleviate nausea
9. Rub on a baby’s skin as a natural baby rub
10. To control unruly hair. Rub a pea sized amount into your palms and then smooth over the hair
Want to know more about Chi Organic Coconut Oil? Then have a look here
Looking for some coconut oil recipes? Then check out our previous blog